Delicious slow-cooked lamb shoulder forms the filling of this pie/tart which is garnished with spring vegetables and dollops of pumpkin mousse.
For the shortcrust pastry for pie dough:
2 Egg yolks
For the lamb filling:
200gm Boneless Australian lamb shoulder, minced
1 Clove garlic, chopped
½ pc Holland onion (diced)
½ pc Whole ripe tomato (roughly chopped)
50gm Carrot (cubed)
50gm Green peas
1 Sprig rosemary
100ml Red wine
500ml Chicken stock
80ml Bulgogi sauce
Salt (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)
For the toppings:
4pcs Jumbo asparagus
40gm Tomato concassé
20gm Celery stalk (brunoise cut)
20gm Carrot (brunoise cut)
20gm onion (brunoise cut)
400gm Pumpkin (skin removed and cooked til soft and mashed)
20gm Grated parmesan
70gm Du puy lentils (cooked)
Fresh chives, (slivers
Butter (as needed)
Cream (as needed)
For the lamb filling
1. Heat pot with oil till smoky. Brown minced lamb thoroughly and season with pepper.
2. Add in the diced onions and cubed carrots. Cook for another 3 minutes then add in the chopped garlic. Cook till garlic is lightly brown.
3. Add in the rosemary and chopped tomatoes. Cook for another 3 mins. Deglaze the pan with red wine.
4. Add the lamb stock. Cover and braise on low heat till the sauce thickens.
5. Finally add the bulgogi sauce and green peas.
6. Adjust seasoning if needed. Leave filling aside to cool.
For the pie crust
1. Beat flour, butter and salt together till the texture is powdery.
2. Gradually add the egg yolks and water.
3. Mix well into a dough
4. Roll out flat and place within pie moulds. Press on the side and trim off extra from the sides.
5. Make holes in the pie crust with a fork.
6. Bake for 10 mins at 180 °C.
For the toppings
1. Mix the mashed pumpkin, parmesan cheese, butter and cream in a small pot.
2. Slowly heat up on low heat till the cheese is well combined—season with salt & pepper.
3. Transfer the mashed pumpkin into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Set aside.
4. Heat up a clean pan with oil. Sweat onion, celery and carrot. Add in the lentils, asparagus and tomato concassé. At this time tomato will release moisture to the pan, whisk in a knob of butter.
5. Season with salt and pepper and finish with chopped chives.
To assemble the pie:
1. Preheat oven to 190°C
2. In a par-baked pie crust add the lamb filling till the crust is ¾ filled.
3. Pipe the mashed pumpkin over the lamb filling in the desired fashion.
4. Bake in the preheated oven till the pumpkin is slightly brown on the edges. Remove from oven.
5. Arrange the asparagus tips neatly on the pie and spoon over braised lentil.
6. Garnish with chives slivers and serve.